Week 4

3/29/12

This week our challenge was to think global. We are to find a problems and organizations that help it. Kids around the world suffer from basic need, like malnutrition, lack of water, and many other things.  They also may not have a home, or a bed, or an extra set of clothes. All of these things we all ready have and do not think much about how important they are. There are ways to help stop and prevent this.

Multiple organizations help with this problem. I want to tell you about one in particular that I have used, it is called  Compassion International. Compassion International is a Christian organization that helps kids by providing these needs for them. Their motto “Releasing children from poverty in Jesus’ name.” They give them meals, clothes, education, shelter and even Christian training. It was founded in 1952 by Rev. Everett Swanson during the Korean War when many children were orphans that lacked these basic need. Dr. Wesley K. Stafford is currently the president and CEO of Compassion International.

They help approximately 1.2 million children in 26 counties! Approximately 163,527 moms and their children have accepted Jesus as their Savior. Compassion International has 5,659 church partnerships around the world. Over  1,172,170 children have been sponsored through their mission to end poverty.

How can you help? Easy. Go to Compassion International and click on “Sponsor a Child.” From there, it will allow you to pick what country you want and what gender you want. They will find the right child for you. Now you can write to them whenever you want, by email or a letter. People a Compassion International translate the letter into the native language. The more you write, the more your child will succeed.

I have been sponsoring children for a few years now. My most recent one, Kevin had been in the program for enough time that he has graduated and has been having a better life. These kids are just like you and me. I found out while writing to him that there are yoyos even in the remote places of Indonesia. He liked to play sports like basketball and soccer. They are just like us.

So, go to Compassion International click on “Sponsor a Child” and get started today. Remember that you can change a child’s life even if you are on the other side of the world.

For more ideas on how to make a change in the world go to The Student Blogging Challenge: Week 4

3 thoughts on “Week 4

1. Hi Spencer,
    Love your blog it’s so awesome! I had just realized that you don’t use any attribution to your images in your post’s. I would really love to know where you got those picture’s from but I can’t find it! Good luck with the rest of the blogging challenge your doing great!
    -Amy M

2. What I love about your blog is that you go through all the weeks and do all the challenges that’s awesome I don’t think I could keep up like you good job!